Monday 25 April 2011

And the Walls ...Come Tumbling Down....

I have to say, putting this house back together has been more of a process than I anticipated. I have no power as of yet, although that is being worked on now. Someone had cut all the wires going into the panel box and stolen most of the breakers, so I was left with a big electrical mess to sort out. I have had someone here for the last three days trying to put it all back together with various components that we already had kicking around .




In the meantime most of August was scorching hot so I wasn't too motivated to do heavy labor and by the time night fell and it cooled off, I had no light to see by. So sad to say, not a lot got done!

 I have been drawing plans to design my dream home for years. It never looked exactly like this place, so I found myself just needing to hang out and spend time here feeling the place out and trying to visualize different ideas to see what I wanted to do next. I kept changing my mind every other day, so got kind of paralyzed and scared to start something. I've been slowly unpacking some of my boxes, trying to find all my tools and craft supplies. I have most of them out now, but won't show you the room just yet as I am waiting to find them all before I decided how to store them.
 The first project is to get the two front rooms done so I can set up a kitchen and living room.

This is going to be the kitchen. I stripped off the wallpaper that was on these walls. Two of the walls were wood paneling that the paper just peeled off. The other two walls, it was glued on tight. I managed to pull the paper off but it left a paper backing stuck to the wall. I mixed fabric softner with boiling water ( half and half) in a sprayer bottle and soaked the paper backing on the wall.


It just peeled off the wall after that with a little nudge from a plastic scraper. ( The white wall is the first one I did, you can see the paper on the floor. To the left where the wall looks beige hasn't been done yet.)




The room beside the kitchen had horrible plastic looking paneling with plastic ribs holding it together. It looked like mobile home paneling from the eighties or something, seriously fugly anyway. Armed with a crowbar, I pulled all the molding and paneling down. What a horror show underneath. The first wall I did, had this large wood paneling which I thought, ok I can work with this.



But the next wall was all styrofoam insulation





and this wall had thick cardboard like sheets of wallpaper glued to the wood.The different wall paneling you see here is all the back of the plastic stuff that was on the walls originally.

I could of cried.....as a matter of fact, I avoided that room for a few weeks after.




As soon as I have some more cash, I will be buying bead board paneling for the bottom of the walls and more paneling for the top which will then be painted sage green or burgendy( I haven't decided yet)

Then there is the upstairs ( sigh...)
I have one room set up as a bedroom and the door wouldn't even open all the way before it hit this wall.


The room behind that wall is a huge airless, windowless space filled to the brim with boxes of stuff. In the heat wave we have been having it was too hot and lacking in oxygen to work up there for any length of time. In desperation one day, I had a fellow come up with a saw and cut me hole in the wall so I could get airflow coming through from the other side.






Ahhhh , much better, light and oxygen!!


While he was doing that, I tore down the wall in front of the bedroom door, so I can easily access the space now and have some cross ventilation going on.


In the meantime, I am still searching craigslist for more material. I lucked out the other day and got all these tiles,vinyl and wooden flooring for free.

From this huge pile that was free to pick from.
I got tons of gorgeous blue tile for the upstairs bathroom and some nice mushroom brown ones for the downstairs bathroom. I also got cans of the adhesive and grout I needed to do the job. There was also some lovely tongue and groove wood and some bead board style as well as three different styles of vinyl flooring. In total, I probably got in the neighborhood of four thousand dollars of material for free, all because they needed more room in their warehouse!

So all in all, there was more deconstruction than construction done this month. That feels a bit frustrating to say the least but it had to be done so that things get done properly.
Has that ever happened to you, where you think you are just going to (for example).. hang wallpaper and find yourself rebuilding the wall first?
Did you like this post?
Share it! Tweet it! "Like" The Eclectic Ark on Facebook!
Thanks, your awesome,

1 comment:

  1. Our friend John would love craiglist "shopping" in Vancouver, but he would never go there. Too much the big city for him. Going over on the ferry to Comox is stressful enough, but he does love free and making something from nothing. - Margy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment, Rhianna

The Eclectic Ark