Tuesday 24 May 2011

Stuffed Mushrooms


One of my favorite decandant appetizers is Stuffed Mushrooms. I bought some premade ones at my local grocery store the other day and they were so good I went back for more. Then I became obsessed by them and had to have the recipe. I went back to the store several times until I got a lead on the woman that made them and the hours she worked. I finally tracked her down and like she was giving me a secret code that could cost her her life, she quickly barked out a short list of ingrediants with no instructions. When I asked her specifically which sauce was she using, she furtively looked over her shoulder and  scurried over to  the stack of seafood sauces to point out the one she used. She beelined it back behind her counter and I could tell the conversation was over. Oh well, I have the secret ingredients, I will just have to wing it from here.

Her recipe is one container of
 - Herb and Garlic cream cheese
 - 2 cans of crab meat ( drained I presume)
 - Seafood Sauce which she called hot sauce but she pointed to the regular variety so who knows?

She didn't tell me how much sauce, so I made half a container of sundried tomatoe and basil cream cheese, ''cause that's what I had in the house and one can of crab meat (drained) mixed with one tablespoon of seafood sauce, regular variety and not the same brand because again, it was what I had around the house. I added pepper to mine and sprinkled lemon pepper on a few to see what that would taste like.

The ingrediants

Just before popping them in the oven
Cooked and ready to eat. The ones that look more yellow have the lemon pepper on them

MMMM, yummy!

I wiped down 4 large mushrooms(to clean mushrooms, gently wipe them with a damp cloth or soft brush. Rinsing them in water tends to make them soggy and reduce their flavour) and cut out the stems with a knife , then went back with a spoon to clean out the holes some more. I stuffed each mushroom with the crab and cheese mixture and put them in a 375 oven for 10 minutes. Then I put the broiler on for a few more minutes until they were slightly browned. I could have done 2 more mushrooms with that amount if I had any more at the time. They turned out ok, I liked the ones with the lemon pepper, it gave them a little zing. I think next time, I might try canned baby shrimp instead of crab. I would also recommend using smaller mushrooms. These were very large and quite rich, something you could eat in a mouthful might have been tastier. I got two different pieces of advice when I asked how to cook them. The one with the recipe said 5 minutes under the broiler while someone else at the store said 10 minutes in the oven. I tried the oven method with these ones and prefer the broiler only method.

Here are a few more recipes I found online while trying to figure out what was in them.

A recipe for stuffed mushrooms with crab and mayonnaise.


Ingredients:

•3 dozen large whole mushrooms

•1 can (7 1/2 ounces) crabmeat, drained, cartilage removed, flaked

•1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley

•1 tablespoon chopped pimiento

•1/4 teaspoon dry mustard

•1/2 cup mayonnaise

Preparation:

Wash mushrooms well; dry and remove stems with a sharp knife. Combine crab, parsley, and pimiento. Stir together mayonnaise and dry mustard; gently stir into crab mixture. Fill each mushroom cap with about 2 tablespoons of crab mixture. Bake at 375° for 8 to 10 minutes, or until hot. Makes 36 crab stuffed mushrooms.
 
 
These stuffed mushrooms are low carb and delicious.


Ingredients:

•2 pounds medium mushrooms

•6 tablespoons butter

•1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened

•1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese

•2 Tablespoons chopped green onion

Preparation:

Remove stems from mushrooms; chop enough stems to equal 1/2 cup. Cook 1 pound of the mushroom caps in 3 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat for 5 minutes; drain off fat. Repeat with remaining 1 pound of mushroom caps and 3 tablespoons butter. In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese and blue cheese, mixing until well blended. Stir in chopped stems and green onions; fill mushroom caps. Place on cookie sheet and broil until tops are golden brown. Makes about 40 stuffed mushrooms.

Grams per serving (2 mushrooms) carbs 2, dietary fiber 1

Calories per serving 91

Fat grams total 8



Another Crab Stuffed Mushroom Recipe
http://www.metro.ca/on/recipe/4684/crab-stuffed-mushroom-caps.en.html
Recipe ingredients
8 large white mushroom caps
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 Tbsp. (15 mL) lemon butter *
1 Tbsp. (15 mL) Delicato olive oil *
3 Tbsp. (45 mL) white wine
5 ml (1 tsp.) fresh thyme
1 can crab meat,* well drained
1 lime and half of its juice
1 Tbsp. (15 mL) fresh chives, chopped
4 oz. (120 g) Camembert cheese *
Preparation
Remove stems from mushroom caps by breaking them free as deep as possible.
Place mushroom caps, garlic, butter, olive oil, white wine and thyme into saucepan on high heat for 5 – 8 minutes.
Mushrooms should be tender when cooked but still a little firm.
Remove mushrooms from pan and place on baking sheet.
Reduce liquid in pan to a near glaze and add well-drained crabmeat, lime juice and chives.
Stuff mushroom caps with crabmeat and place a generous piece of Camembert on top.
Broil the caps for approximately 1 minute or until cheese slightly melts.
Garnish with fresh chive spears and lime wedges.


Pesto filled Portabello Caps

http://www.metro.ca/on/recipe/5189/pesto-filled-portobello-caps.en.html


Recipe ingredients

4 portobello caps (3-4 in./7-10 cm)

1/4 cup (60 mL) basil pesto

3 1/2 oz. (100 g) mozzarella cheese, grated

Preparation

Preheat oven to 400ºF (200ºC) and position top grill 5 in. (12 cm)from the upper element.

Place mushroom caps on a baking sheet.

Divide pesto among mushroom caps.

Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for about 10 minutes.


Enjoy and if you have a favorite stuffed mushroom recipe, send it over and I will add it to the list,


Did you like this post? Share it! Tweet it! "Like" The Eclectic Ark on Facebook! Thanks, your awesome,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment, Rhianna

The Eclectic Ark